Saturday, January 4, 2014

TWG Tea Set (Scones)

In a nutshell
Fudz: TWG Tea Salon at Takashimaya
Cuisine: Teh
Location: Takashimaya Department Store, 391 Orchard Road, Level 2, Singapore 238873
Dial: +65 6363 1837 (1837 is a special year)
Interweb: http://www.twgtea.com/
Damage: $22 ($19++ for Tea Time Set Menu - 1837)

The story
The number keys in my old MacBook Pro died. I died when I tried to book a flight and buy travel insurance online by copying and pasting numbers. After five years of good service, I was sorry to bid farewell to my trusty friend, Frederick. He's still around... I'm just not about to go through another session of copying and pasting digits, one by one.

I was at the third EpiCentre before I painfully decided on which model to get. Monica was very patient throughout my internal struggles as I did not have much cash to spare. After getting Frederick II, I asked the sales assistant to help me to install Office. (I'm lazy like that.) We had half an hour to spare while she worked on it.

Monica wanted scones. Nobody ever tries to stop Mon from eating something she really, really wants to eat.

TWG, as you know, was established in Singapore but it looks totally foreign.

We studied the menu for a while. TWG's list of tea offerings can match the length of your GCE 'A' Levels' history textbook. Fortunately, my heart has always been set on ONE of the earl grey selection. I tried some other teas before but nothing beats French Earl Grey in my history textbook. Why go for something new and exciting when you've already found the one that suits you best?

Decision-making was the theme of that day, nonetheless.

Tea, sans sugar and milk

Most of the tea variety costs $11++ per pot. Some can be up to $24++ thereabouts.

Warm, buttery scones
Black tea jelly and whipped cream to go with the scones

There were three jellies to choose from that day - 1837 Black Tea, Red of Africa and Geisha Blossom. In the end, they told us that they ran out of Geisha Blossom. I had Black, Mon had Red.

Black Tea Jelly on scone

Black Tea Jelly tastes sweet and delicate. It's like a lite version of jam. Haha! Nobody spells 'lite' anymore. I'm trying it out. It feels good and appropriate. Mon found Red of Africa slightly bitter. I think tea-infused jelly is bound to have shades of bitterness. Mine was not at all bitter though. It melts on your tongue at the second of contact. 

Scones are like sponges. They are small in size but they expand in your tummy while you down that cup of tea. I was pretty filled by one and a half scones.

3 comments:

  1. Although it's a tea-infused jam, Geisha Blossom Jelly doesn't taste bitter at all! I wish they never run out of it at TWG! But that jelly seems to be alluding me these days... I've half a mind to just buy a damn bottle for myself and bring it to TWG just in case they run out of the jelly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to try the Geisha Blossom Jelly then, The black one was good too, as I remember. When are we gonna do this tai tai activity again?

      Delete