Thursday, December 26, 2013

Skyve

In a nutshell
Fudz: Skyve Wine Bistro
Cuisine: European
Code: Orchard townies
Location: 10 Winstedt Road Singapore 227977
Dial: +65 6225 6690
Interweb: http://www.skyve.sg/
Email: enquiry@skyve.sg
Damage: $35 - $55
Taste: Eggcellent (ok, sorry about the bad pun.)
Ambience: Clean furniture, grills and tiles
Service: Great. They greeted and bade with sunny smiles.

The story

I had no concrete plans for Christmas this year so I begged for one. Pamy, Chew Yen and Esther had graciously agreed to brunch on Christmas Day. Saved! I'm saved from being sad and lonely on Christmas Day.

Just to add, my all-time favourite Christmas song is 'Do They Know It's Christmas Time?' by Band Aid (1984). I keep the song on loop. The original composer hates the song but I don't. I still think it's lovely. Everyone needs to be fed.

Skyve is tricky to spell on the keyboard. It messes with the spelling bee in my bonnet. I kept typing the name over and over again to see how many times I could get it wrong. So far the wrong percentage falls around 80%. I hope you have better luck with it.

Pamy said 'brunch' so I shot daggers at anyone who attempted to flip to the 'mains' or 'pastas' pages. The dictator in me conceded with the 'beverages' and 'desserts'. Now I wonder why no one made Christmas plans with me.

Although it's known as a wine bistro, it was too early for us to order wine at 11 am in the morning. We are not European ladies.

INT. Seating arrangements
There's an old-school metal swing at the outdoor dining area. Kids love the space. We saw big groups of families with young children. Skyve is children-friendly.

The bartender/barista behind the tiled counter. He doesn't care for latte art.

This utensil placement style reminds me of Cocotte & Meng's ba chor mee shop. The latter holds chopsticks, minus the leaves and serviettes.

New way of studying papillae

Textbook placemat

Hazelnut latte straight up.
Coffee is good. I could drink it without making a face.

We had the Skyving' Breakfast ($22++) in poached, overeasy and scrambled. Chew Yen had the Skyve Sous Vide Eggs Benedict ($19++).

Typing the 'Skyve' words is killing me. The typos and retypes.

Skyving' Breakfast - Poached Style

Poached eggs undressed... saved for a sprinkle of spring onions

Overeasy

Alien head with yolk eyes

Skyve Sous Vide Eggs Benedict

Wild Mushroom Soup ($11++)

Brownie. I've no idea where Chew Yen ordered from in the menu.
Eggs Ben + Soup + Brownie were consumed by Chew Yen. She liked them all. My attention was on the corn nibblets in the eggs ben dish. Looks like something I would eat even though I had never seen corn in eggs ben until now.

The maitre d' offered white, circular blocks to put our bags next to our seats. They directed us to the unisex restroom patiently and two of them even held the door open as we left the bistro. All smiles and 'see you again's. They probably received some good things out of their stockings in the morning, I don't know. Maybe they just had a good foundation on how service is supposed to be. Anyhow, thank you, Skyve staff. We appreciate all that.

I have been reading their menu on their webpage and I ought to pay Skyve a few more visits to sample their mains and wine for a well-rounded post. Their photos and descriptions are calling out to me.

Skyve Wine Bistro is at a walkable distance from Newton MRT Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment