Monday, March 24, 2014

Chez Petit Salut

In a nutshell
Fudz: Chez Petit Salut
Cuisine: French
Location: 44 Jalan Merah Saga, Singapore 278116
Dial: +65 6474 9788
Interweb: http://www.chezpetitsalut.com/en/
Damage: $35 - 3-Course Set Lunch (available from 1130-1430hrs)

The story
I explicitly told Xaviere that I was on a tight budget. A few clicks on some online shopping websites had rendered me close to penniless until my next pay check... which was more than a fortnight away. Xaviere had nodded her pretty head in great understanding. I thought she was the most understanding friend in the world.

She still is. Except that afternoon when I skipped work and met her at Holland Village. What to eat? I eyed at the hawker centre across the road. She said, "Shall we go to Bistro Petit Salut? Everyone who has been there said that it's really good." My eyes widened at her bold suggestion. French fine dining? What happened to the tight budget talk we had last night?

Her big eyes looked so earnest and hopeful. I wonder how many boys got swayed by that soulful expression. I nodded dumbly as she led the way. So screwed.

Bistro Petit Salut is now known as Chez Petit Salut. Pardon my French. I don't understand a word of it. You probably have a better idea why the need for the change.

We took some time to decide what we want from the 3-course lunch menu.

Ocean trout tartare with olive oil, lemon jus, petit salad and toast

Tartare on toast
This had to be one of the most refreshing appetisers I had, despite being stuffed with a bread roll just before this was served. The dressing on the salad and tartare was tantalising to taste. I scooped copious amounts of tartare on each bite of the toast and still had tartare leftovers. This gave my mouth a good wake-up call for the main.

Xaviere had the soup of the day, which was tomato. She said it was decent.

Poulet au vinaigre
As pictured, this was a huge chicken thigh cooked to perfection in a broth made from vinegar, onions, carrots, and whatnots. A soft clove of garlic rested on top of the meat, daring you to pop it into your mouth if you are not a vamp. I'm no vamp but I learned some dining etiquette from James Bond movies and spread the garlic over the meat dutifully. I wished there was more than one clove. 

That was the vamp in me speaking. 

The polenta served as a bed for the soft chicken thigh, surrounded by a moat of broth. The combination of tender chicken and broth-soaked polenta brought some excitement in my mouth. It was so good that I finished the huge thigh to its bone.

Xaviere had the slow braised pork neck in mustard sauce with Pommes Purée, aka mashed potatoes. The pork neck was soft and easy to chew. Flavourful and delicious.

Slow braised pork neck in mustard sauce with Pomme Purée

I was not sure if I could eat another bite. Does anyone sane ever skip desserts?

Crème Brûlée 

Apple crumble

A spoonful of apple crumble
If there's apple crumble on the menu, I'm likely to choose it over any other dessert. The apple cubes still had their skins intact. Sweet, tart and warm. 

The crème brûlée made Xaviere very happy that afternoon. It was the biggest dish of crème brûlée I'd ever seen.

$35 well spent. Here's to homemade sandwiches for the rest of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment