Thursday, August 28, 2014

Dancing Crab Singapore by Tung Lok

In a nutshell
Fudz: Dancing Crab by Tung Lok
Cuisine: Creole and American influences
Location: The Grandstand - 200 Turf Club Road #01-20/21 Singapore 287994
Dial: +65 6466 3303
Interweb: http://www.dancingcrab.com.sg/

The story

Eating seafood is a happy occasion. The name itself sets you up on your feet and they will tap merrily away to the beat. Who worries about spiking cholesterol levels when you just want to put a piece of that seafood into your mouth? No one ever. You should always be ready for it.

We were ready for it when Xaviere wanted to go somewhere 'ulu' for dinner. There are 'ulu' restaurants in Singapore where no birds would lay eggs but people would flock over for the love of food and being hippy. And happy. Whatever. Like where, Xaviere? Where is 'ulu'?

Xaviere is seldom at the loss of words. In fact, her replies often catch me unaware and they are blows to my heart and brain. Sneaky. And happy. Whatever. I've battle scars from her but I'm well-trained.

"Let's go to The Grandstand. I want to eat at Dancing Crab!"

For non-Singaporeans reading this, please do not be misled into thinking that The Grandstand is somewhere 'ulu'. In fact, it's already an establishment for restaurants, cafes and dessert shoppes for the past couple of years. If you have a car, it's not that 'ulu'.

Sheena had the car that day. So we went.

Nobody questions Xaviere too much when her heart is set on something.

(By the way, where she lives is at the far end of Singapore lor. That's more 'ulu' to me. This is the matter of opinions and we shall leave it as that.)

We found a car who took up four lots at the car park. No, it's not a lorry. It's a normal sedan. Very impressive but I believe it is quite common there. Rogue drivers are always mentally chastised by other drivers. I wonder if all the mental negativity is ever strong enough to get to them. I hope so.

Dancing Crab sounds very cheerful. The image of a crab dancing in the head looks extremely adorable. I'm just sorry that their happiness will be short-lived because they would be eaten.


Here's the entrance with all the crab shells. If I'm a crab with human brains, it's like walking into Sedlec Ossuary for a tour and you then find cannibals in there. Okay, too early for Halloween-infused posts.



You get to see some live ones at the window aquariums.


Once you enter the restaurant, you will find a very relaxed and cheerful atmosphere. Colourful flag streamers and fish nets hung low across the ceilings, dim lightings except on your dining table, comfortable chairs for your butts and enthusiastic servers with big smiles. I thought it is a good place for family dinners and rowdy friends' gatherings.

Lobster Roll ($23)
Their lobster rolls are famous. Xaviere wanted to eat them before we even looked at the menu. She still wanted to eat them after we spent quite some time looking at the menu. I think you will want to eat them after reading this post. Please do. Tell me what you think about it after eating it. I didn't eat it.


Atlantic Cod Fish and Chips ($22)
It's not just fish and chips. It's cod fish and chips. A generous serving of chips with three soft and succulent pieces of cod meat that allow you to chomp on even if you've just tightened your braces that day. Squeeze the lemon over the fish and chips for zest. The fish is fresh enough without the lemon but I like the taste of tang with it.


Combo Bag #01 ($80)
Combo Bag #01 comes with a Sri Lanka crab, prawns, mussels, potatoes, corn, sausages. It's good for two but on my good days, I may just want the whole bag for myself. You can choose the sauce - Dancing Crab Signature of mild, spicy or extra spicy, Herb Butter or Beurre Blanc. The server comes with the clear plastic bag of seafood and dumps it right in front of you on the table. You get down and dirty with the meal, bare-handed. I like that. Nobody should use utensils on a chicken wing too. It will not taste as good without licking your fingers as you eat.

If you order The Flaming Moonshine Tiger Prawns ($8 per 100g), you will get a show of flaming prawns right next to your table. We did not have that but I think it's worth a go. The name of the dish is romantic enough. Pictures of it from other food blogs are gorgeous. I love prawns more than I love lobsters.

Check their website for their full menu. There are a lot to choose from and prices are surprisingly reasonable.

Dancing Crab certainly satisfies seafood cravings and at the same time, you will get hooked for more.

2 comments:

  1. Dancing crab was sheena's choice! Mine was marmalade pantry! Shes the one with crab cravings not me! :p - xav

    ReplyDelete