Monday, January 21, 2013

The therapeutic brunch

Writer's note: I realised I didn't post a single review in 2012. 
First of all, how lazy. Where did my time go to? 
Secondly, I didn't stop eating. Last year, I kind of turned into a eating monster. I'm almost proud to say that I'm the first person my friends think of whenever they want to have a steamboat buffet. It could be my famous fixation on tau kee (translate: beancurd skin), cooked soft and flavourful. No, I don't want to talk about steamboats. In 2012, I ate my first ever eggs benedict in NYC. I love it. I didn't understand why people eat poached eggs when they could eat half-boiled eggs or have them scrambled.  Poached eggs sound messy and yolky. These are probably also the reasons why people like them. The next couple of reviews have a lot to do with eggs and brunches. Bear with me. I'll move on to other food types very soon. I mean, who doesn't know how a poached egg taste like?
Me. Before April 2012. Like seriously. Get a move on.

In a nutshell
Fudz: Group Therapy
Cuisine: Predominantly breakfast and coffee. Don't worry, they serve tea too.
Code: Whatever that makes you feel like a breakfast champion
Location: 49 Duxton Road, #02-01
Dial: +65 6222 2554 (they don't accept reservations but you can call half an hour upon reaching to check if there are available spots)
Interwebhttp://www.gtcoffee.com/
Damage: Depends on how many cups of coffee you drink.
Taste: Many hot favourite items remain the same but some main courses change frequently. You can see dates printed on their paper menus to ensure that you received the current copy.
Ambience: Cheery. Looks like you just visited a friend's living quarters. Couches and dining tables.
Service: Staff are friendly but food takes long to arrive. They explained that they have a long queue for food to be prepared for their large throng of customers. 

The story
We studied psychology together in the mid-2000s. If I don't remember wrongly, all of us passed our exams. It could be apt that we are finding therapy as a group... Those years of studying abnormal behaviour and how we think with our brains could be the cause of this need.

Hazel brought her son, An An, a very sweet young boy about four years old. He grew pretty much attached to me, literally, by plopping himself on my laps and wriggled about for the entire second half match.


Everyone has to eat their Eggs Benedict at least once before moving to other pastures. 

Their Eggs Ben is topped up with a generous amount of hollandaise sauce. It muffled the taste of the eggs but otherwise, most of us brighten up at the sight of the hollandaise that spread out far and beyond. My preferred choice of dough is English muffins but I understand the rationale of using a thick toast to mop up the overflowing yolk and hollandaise sauce. Its purpose is like an absorbent sponge. It's chewy and filling. The eggs are well-poached. People who love eggs, love egg yolks. People who only eat egg whites miss out a lot of things in life, like for examples, yummy Bombay toasts and high cholesterol levels.



After a cup of JING's Earl Grey tea, I succumbed to a glass of iced chocolate. It should be pretty okay because my recollection of how the iced chocolate taste like is dimmed. Probably An An was kneeling on my laps and I was too busy in pain to notice. An iced chocolate is a drink to make you feel fuller than full when you feel like it.

Lynx waited over half an hour for his shepherd's pie to be baked and served. Fortunately, it tasted good, so his impatience and annoyance wore off a little. 

We had a large group and many of them were late. Oh what's new about the waiting culture in Singapore? The waitress came over a few times to check if they were still coming as their influx of customers was high. Sheepishly, I told her that they WERE coming but I've no idea when.

Before the meet up, I called up the place and the nice lady on the phone gave good advice that we should pop by before 1100 or 1130hrs. That's the period when the place starts to get crowded.

Also, first-timers to the therapy are usually lost because most of us do not possess peripheral vision, contrary to biological claims of the human eye. The cafe is on the second floor, with only a small signboard and quaint staircase to lead the way on the ground floor. You can train your eyes to read numbers in order to track #49 along the row of shophouses. Surprisingly, there were quite many available parallel parking lots along the road. Taking a cab solves most of my commuting problems.

Brunch was brief and we disbanded right afterwards. Just like how a group therapy should go. We don't really know each other once we get out of the place, do we?

No comments:

Post a Comment