Saturday, March 12, 2011

The novelty and nobility

In a nutshell
Fudz: Paradise Dynasty
Cuisine: China to the Chinese to the Ching Chong Man
Code: Whatever you can bring yourself to wear to ION Orchard
Location: ION Orchard Singapore, 2 Orchard Turn, #04-12A
Dial: +65 6509 9118
Damage: $30-$40 per pax
Taste: Chinese. You can also taste Chinese in a neighbourhood zichar stall too.
Ambience: You would also think you've stepped into royalty with all that gold
Service: The feeling of being served by the chefs themselves is authentic... no?

The story
You can avoid the number queue if you arrive a tinge earlier than the dinner crowd. The trick in Singapore is to feel hungry before everyone does. Some call it kiasu-ism. These some don't know how to plan an efficient timetable to save their lives.

Food blogs have been spawning reviews of this 'not-so-new-anymore' Chinese restaurant who is giving Crystal Jade and Ding Tai Fung a run for their money. Locals have an unexplained fixation on xiao long baos. I can explain it. I blame it on food documentaries that enjoy showing glistening buns that look pregnant with soup while being held up by a pair of chopsticks. Since then, fantasies of popping one of those soup buns into our mouths have lingered relentlessly on our minds. So much so that there are still ridiculous long queues outside DTF that I can NEVER comprehend.

Chandeliers lining up the ceiling
Eat it whole or suck up the soup first but I prefer the former because it saves time
Chinese equivalent of the Korean rice cakes
Chinese equivalent of carbonara... a broth of crabmeat and egg
Shredded ginger and vinegar
Finery
Dragon was hovering above us throughout dinner
Shanghainese Fried Rice done well
Stir-fried tofu
Straight from the kitchen
Kungfu Cha!
And it swirls from the spout

I've never been to China so I can't tell you if the Shanghainese Fried Rice is the real McCoy. However, everything tasted pretty much the way I think it should be. I wouldn't lick the plates clean but I will still use the chopsticks in a vigilant effort in order to feed myself.

The different flavoured (and coloured) xiao long baos are attractive if your tastebuds have eyes. Try it once and consider it done. Revert to original xiao long baos thereafter. I can always find truffle in other foods that aren't Chinese. I am quite a stick-in-a-mud when it comes to food unless new creations are revolutionary... which is highly unlikely. Traditions run deep in Chinese blood.

I fell in love with the rice cakes. I made a mental note to order a plate for myself and NOT share if I ever visit Paradise Dynasty the third time. 

I've used up my word count of the day. Just remember what I said about getting hungry early.

No comments:

Post a Comment